Berkeley Lake is a city in Gwinnett County, Georgia, United States. It is a northern suburb of Atlanta. From its 1956 origins as a summer retreat, Berkeley Lake has grown into a thriving community centered on its 88-acre (360,000 m2) namesake lake. As of the 2020 census, the city had a population of 2,054. It has been named a Tree City USA for 18 years.
The majority of lands in the city limits (the 700-acre (2.8 km2) Berkeley Lake Properties) were developed by Frank Coggins in the late 1940s. The dam, constructed in 1948, is one of the largest earthen dams in the state. The city’s namesake, Lake Berkeley (77 acres (310,000 m2)), was named after Mr. Coggins’ Berkeley Blue Granite Quarries in Elberton. In 1950 the Berkeley Lake “subdivision,” which included five reserved Free Pass and Repass tracts (FPR) and the residential and fishing lots around the lake, was laid out. In 1952, Calvin and Kate Parsons, along with John and Dorothy Bagwell, purchased the Berkeley Realty & Investment Company and its 700-acre (2.8 km2) property.